From:
Pat McLean <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pat McLean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2006 14:46:06 -0500

Another thought for making sandwiches, especially for eating the next day
or while traveling. While I've had good luck making a sandwich with the
hamburger buns from Kinnikinnick it's only if I'm going to eat it, after
toasting etc. at that time. For making a sandwich the night before or
early the next morning I have found Real Foods (an Australian firm) Corn
Thins to work much better. They are approx. the size, and packaged the
same, as rice cakes but are much thinner. In southern California the local
health food stores and Whole Foods carry them in the same section as the
rice cakes. They are very inexpensive, around $2 plus for a package of 26.
I bought a large round cookie cutter which is ideal for cutting the ham
and cheese I usually use. I melt the cut cheese round on one of the thins
and the left over corners from the cheese square on the other one in the
microwave. This keeps them from breaking but is not necessary. I also have
taken them on Elderhostel trips and while they may break you can usually
hold them together to finish the sandwich. They also are ideal for
traveling since you don't have to worry about them getting stale or moldy.
Four of them also fit nicely in the small size plastic deli containers.