From:
Jack and Laurie Tepe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 22:11:19 -0600

Hi:

Have any of you ever had "pill esophagitis"?   I am not sure if this is
what is going on with me or not, but it is a potential...

I am on neurontin for nocturnal myoclonus - and it works fairly
well...but lately I have had some very resistant GERD like problems,
including reflux esophagitis shown on an endoscopy.  (My celiac disease
is well under control).  Reflux, belching (that the gastro. insists has
to be from swallowed air, but I disagree) and some minimal motility
discomfort.

My neurologist doesn't think that neurontin would cause this, but the
insert for the drug shows that it can cause these problems, albeit
rarely.  She said that it won't help to switch meds because the
alternatives are worse than neurontin.  The real problem being that I
can't go without something.

My gastroenterologist recently opined that it might be caused by
neurontin when I specifically asked him, but he changed his mind when he
heard what the neuro. thought - and then said that I need to have a
manometry test done since the Prevacid hasn't worked (on the belching
mainly) after 3 weeks (that after 5 weeks of triple dose Zantac-75).
The test can't be done for awhile, so in the meanwhile, gentle list
members, I am grasping for any info. that:

1.  Relates to "pill esophagitis" regardless of the drug.

2.  Prevacid experiences - mainly; how long did it take to work?

3.  GERD that came "out of the blue" and/or is non-stop relentless in
nature.

Thank you in advance.  I'll summarize.

-Laurie