From:
Mary Bourgrif <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Bourgrif <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Dec 2008 22:13:46 -0500

Several people semed confused as to why this cereal was recalled.  They
pointed out that it wasn't marked "gluten free" so why shouldn't it contain
kamut.

  The reason is that U.S. law requires any product containing one of the 8
common allergens --wheat is one of them -- to actually say that it contains
that allergen. The word  "kamut" is not good enough.  It must say "wheat"  It
didn't. So it was recalled.  Has nothing at all to do with the term "gluten free",
which is not yet regulated at all in this country.

It doesn't help the reader's comprehension that my posts are always badly
broken up with embedded codes.  I have queried the webmaster as to why
this happens, but haven't gotten a response.  I compose on directly on the
Archives site and send via yahoo e-mail using "text only".    If anyone can
helkp me clear up my posts, I'd appreciate it.  Mary b