From:
Chris Barr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Barr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 14:19:53 -0500

Summary of GF Potato Chips replies.

A number of respondents liked Lays (reg. & wavy),
but one confirmed my experience:  not good.

I'm in Massachusetts.

I'm going to try
  Utz (various flavors)
  and probably: Boulder Totally Natural .. (boulderchips.com)

See Websites below ..

Utz's website is clearly the best for nutrion/GF info.
(Frito-Lay's is second-best, but notes possible contamination).

Others say they regularly eat:
  Lays
  Cape Cod (usually made w/ Canola)

but one reports bad luck w/ Lays and notes that
  Kettle
reports their chips are not GF, despite labelling.

Some asked "why no canola oil?"
Well, it's another food intolerance for me, known to appear with Celiac
Sprue ..
or so a nutritionist warned, and experimentation seems to prove.

(Canola oil is the Canadian-invented name for rapeseed oil, which we all
know to be a low-cholesterol choice which is well-suited to high heat
cooking)

One person said that, in the past, she had been sensitive to Canola oil,
but
not after 3 years of being GF.
And indeed, she likes Cape Cod chips, which are cooked in Canola.

In detail:

OK, GF:
  Cape Cod: 2
  Utz Russett/peanut oil: 1
  Utz: 1
  Utz: 1 (no canola)
  Lays: 4
  Boulder Totally Natural: 1
  generic "olive oil": 1

We found a couple of brands that I think are OK.  The only one I can
remember is: Boulder Totally Natural Intense Potato Chips (a division of
Poore Brothers - www.boulderchips.com)

Only one response reports a Not OK potato chip:
Lays:  1
  .. websites claims GF but "..disclaimer at the bottom admits the cross
  contamination. Our daughter gets sick when she eats them.   Also, Kettle
  Chips don't use canola oil but ARE NOT GF"

why canola?: 2
please summarize: 3
unhealthy: 1
unhealthy but fun: 1

Utz' website seems most GF-conscientious:
   http://www.utzsnacks.com/Productinfo.shtml

Lays:  Goes to some trouble to list & explain:
  Note: msg is used ..
  Gluten-free products:    http://www.fritolay.com/nutrition/glutefree.shtml
  FAQ:  http://www.fritolay.com/nutrition/faq.shtml

Boulder Totally:
http://www.boulderchips.com
( no nutritional info ... waiting for email reply)