From:
Bev Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Oct 2001 14:30:21 -0500

Hi listies,  In the wake of the terrorist attacks and the state of
"preparedness" that we are supposed to be under now I have put together
a gluten free survival kit for our daughter.  I feel that this is a way
I can empower her and our family in case of an emergency.  I thought it
would be a good idea to share this will all of you.

What I did was buy a large plastic container with a lid.  In it I put
Dinty Moore Beef Stew individual containers, Capri Sun beverages,
bottled water, some of her favorite gf cookies, bread sticks and
crackers that we order on-line, Libby's Corned Beef in a can, gf peanut
butter, Tamarind Tree Taste of India ready to eat meals (Channa Dal
Masala is her favorite), boxes of raisins, Fruit Head natural cherry,
strawberry licorice, Barre D'Energie Grabber energy bars, 49th Star Pink
Salmon in a can, canned tuna, a can opener, canned veggies, canned
fruit, and anything else I could think of that would keep for a long
time and not need heating or cooking if necessary.  I also put in some
plasticware and non gf stuff for my husband and I so we would not have
to dig into her "stash".

I also made up a first aid kit which includes 3-M bandages, gauze,
Neopsporin ointment, an instant ice pack, vinyl gloves, Advil, Immodium
A-D, hydrogen peroxide, matches, anti-bacterial wipes, emergency camping
blankets, bright orange vinyl vests (you can get these last two items in
the camping section of Wal-mart or at a camping store), instant heat
packs for hands and feet, flares, tissues, and Purell hand sanitizer.

I am going to keep these items in my basement and have them accessible
in case we have to leave the house and take them with us.  I got this
idea from The American Red Cross website.  They have a lot of good
information on their website for the general public but they advice that
people with special needs also make sure they have extra medication that
they take on a regular basis available in their kit.  This would include
gf food for celiacs since that is our "prescription for health".  Their
web address is www.redcross.org.  I hope that I will never have to use
this "survival kit" and will be able to just pack it up when my daughter
goes off to college as her college survival kit, but it makes me feel
better to know that in an emergency, I will be able to help her.

If anyone has anything to add to the kit, please post in on the listserv
so we can all benefit.

May G-d bless all of you and all of America.

Warmly,

Bev Wahl