From:
andrea r howe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 16:36:24 -0400

Thank you all, for responding to my request, about colors and dyes
(specifically red and yellow)
I got many responses, with all opinions varying widely!

Bottom line:
Dyes do not contain gluten.(per FDA and CSA)
Artificial colors do not contain gluten since they are synthetic (per
FDA, didn't ask CSA)
Some People (including the general population) may have a sensitivity to
red #40 and FD&C yellow #5

I spoke to someone at CSA directly yesterday and they do not claim that
dyes have gluten in them. They advise people to avoid them because they
may be sensitive to them. (ed. I do not plan on avoiding them unless
there is a reaction)

Many people were confused as well, because they had heard something about
colors/dyes years ago and so were avoiding them just in case. (What a
shame!)

One person wrote that red dye was seaweed based and so could cause
problems for people with DH (due to high iodine content) - but it sounds
as if should be synthetic

Many felt the CSA was being to conservative (without scientific proof)
and shouldn't be scaring people.

There was no one specific list of "forbidden" ingredients  mentioned .
Other groups do have colors/dyes listed as possible "individual
sensitivity"

Many recommendations for Gluten Free Livings  " A Basic Guide to the GF
Diet" , which I ordered yesterday.

This was an interesting response:  "even caramel color is probably ok.
It can theoretically be made from almost anything, but the largest
manufacturer in the US says he never makes it from a glutenous grain,
and is not aware of anyone who does."

I believe Annato ( a color) was also recently believed to contain gluten
and is now thought to be safe, because it comes from a tropical plant.

Good Health!

Andrea Howe
Chairperson WACSSG