From:
Grace Johnston <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Grace Johnston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 19:13:59 -0400

His response:
Thank you for your email about food labeling. On January 29 Rep Nita Lowey of NY introduced H.R 467, the "Food Ingredient Right to Kow Act", which would require labeling on foods that contain spices, flavoring or coloring derived from meat, poultry, other animal products or known allergens. The bill has been referred to the House Energy and Commerce Committee for consideration. The Committee has not yet held hearings or taken action on the bill. While it appears the bill would not require labeling on foods that contain wheat, I will convey your concerns to Rep. Lowey and will certainly consider your views if the House considers any proposals related to food labeling.
I am enclosing a copy of a report prepared by the Congressional Research Service which discusses food allergies and labeling proposals in greater detail. If I or my staff can be of further assistance, plase contact my office.

Melvin L Watt
12th District
North Carolina