Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 1995 21:38:43 +0100

>Schizophrenia, arthritis, and multiple sclerosis seem to be associated with
>gluten and that there seem to be practical and statistical indications to
>the contrary.
>
>Comment from Don Kasarda, Albany, CA
>
>I would be very much interested in the literature references that provide
>significant statistical indications of an association of the above mentioned
>conditions with gluten ingestion.  I am mainly aware of studies in the area
>of schizophrenia where those that claim a significant correlation are
>canceled by others that haven't found such a correlation.

This in itself is of interest. Clearly in some areas correlations have been
found.

> This may well be
>a problem of experimental design rather than indicating a lack of any
>connection, but I haven't been convinced of a significant correlation by
>what I have seen so far.

Not every one will be.

>  I understand the frustration that results when
>needed research isn't being done, but research costs money, often big money,
>and the funding frequently isn't available to researchers no matter how
>interested they might be in the problem.  Also, when dealing with human
>subjects, there are major problems finding willing, suitable participants
>for studies and, in the case of schizophrenia, for example, with informed
>consent by subjects.

So why are we spending all this money on looking for "cures"..surely it is
logical to look first at the unnatural substances ingested. This would
obviously cost a lot less, and would be unlikely to create side effects.

Regarding available statistics, I do not know which country you are resident
in, however, I would suggest dietary habits in amjor continents and regions
around the world, against broad incidence of the above "diseases", as a start.

Its been done before..as I mentioned earlier I read a book published in the
60's.

Mike Johnson