From:
Melonie Katz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Melonie Katz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Mar 2005 11:37:14 -0800

There is a recipe for "Barbie doll cake in "The Kid Friendly Food  Allergy Cookbook" by Leslie Hammond & Lynne Marie Rominger

I have found that the "Cause You're Special" cake mix is very much like a regular cake mix and you can do all of the same things with it.  If you get the large size mix, it is equivalent to a regular mix.  You can add a box of instant pudding as well, and it is really moist.  As far as decorating....it seems like there is a GF list for all of the Wilton icings.  Maybe even on their web-site.  Last year I took the Wilton cake decorating class at my local Michael's store.  I took it with a group of friends and it was actually pretty fun.  Every week, I would bring my GF cake and decorate it just like everyone else.  My daughter was thrilled when I brought home such a pretty cake that she could eat!  I think in one of those classes, they do a "Barbie" cake thing.  Just some suggestions....... Beth,  El Dorado Hills, CA

For one of my daughters' parties, we did the Barbie thing. Wilton has a pan that makes 6 small domes and you can get the mini doll picks. I used those picks and decorated each with white icing. Then each girl got to add the finishing touches with sprinkles and colored icings. These smaller domes might work for GF mixes (mine was pre-GF). In fact, you could make guests cake with reg. cake mix, just be sure to keep them straight!   Catherine in SC

I did hear from the Kinnikinnick customer service and they said that it would be too much batter in the dome and that the cake just wouldn't rise. (Heck..disappointing but at least they are honest about it!) Their suggestion was for me to make 3 layers and then shave the shape that I want. I am wondering about crumbs and how that will affect my frosting ability. (of which I have none to begin with!) I am willing to give it a try. The other idea was 2 layers and a shallow dome to tip on top of the layers. (cake mixes are on order) I am going to go to the cake supply store on Thursday to see what they have to offer as far as shallow bowls.

When I am frosting a cake like the Barbie cake. I take the cake from the pan and freeze it first. This way you can get the crumbs from it before you frost it. Then you just frost the cake while it is still frozen. Keeps the cake moister too!

Hello Juliane (and anyone else who is keeping up with the cake saga)

I used the Barbie dome cake pan and....it WORKED! Granted that the cake didn't rise to fill the entire upside-down dome, but it made enough of a dome so that I can add bottom layers and we will have us a Barbie ball gown cake! YIPPEE! I haven't cut into the cake yet to see if it cooks all the way through, but frankly...it's a bunch of 5 year olds who only eat icing anyhow and if it LOOKS good then I will be totally satisfied! WHEW

Well..I spoke (or wrote in this case) too soon. It LOOKED great but when I cut into it...ick...the center was pudding-like and not cooked. (Kinnikinnick warned me) I was thinking that I should try to bake it for a longer time on a lower temperature or even cover it 1/2 way through the baking cycle. Any thoughts? I have 7 more cake mixes on the way (I KNEW that I'd screw it up and it's not like I can just run out anyhow to get more) so I have max 3 mixes to perfect this dome thing. As far as the layers...I know I can do them so it's focus time for the dome.  I do have the frosting mix (shortening and powdered sugar stuff) down so I now have to nail the cake baking. I would LOVE to take a cake decorating class but right now my kids and life just don't allow for that time. I am a morning bird so baking and decorating early in the morning is right up may alley!

Tips from the Delphi forums site:

Here is a thread about how to make Barbie cake.  First, you have to log in but it is free:

http://tinyurl.com/57nov

Here is the thread:  http://tinyurl.com/63n85    read all the messages of the thread.  It is very helpful.  (sorry, I can’t remove the bold letters)

http://tinyurl.com/4pxrl

"Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson