From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 23:50:02 EST

Miscellaneous Notes:
--------------------

Shopping Guide Changes:

  *  Doritos Now Have Wheat Flour in them.  They are listed in our new
     shopping guide as being gluten-free, so be sure to cross them out
     in your copy of the shopping guide.  Thank you to Heather Clarey
     for pointing this out.

  *  Dole Juices Warning:  Jeanne Murdock, the president of the San
     Diego Chapter of CSA, warns us of a discrepancy between our new
     food guide and recent information she has received from the
     manufacturer of Dole juices.  Many of the Dole juices contain
     "natural flavors" as an ingredient.  Jeanne was just informed
     that their natural flavors are alcohol-based, and some of the
     alcohols come from grains and some from corn.  Those of you who
     avoid grain-based alcohols (a controversial topic we will not go
     into now) should avoid any Dole juices which contain natural
     flavors.  Thank you to Jeanne for pointing this out.

                            -=-=-   -=-=-

The Kitchen Glamour Christmas Catalogue sells the highly-touted
Stockel food scoops.  (Stockel food scoops are very good for working
with our sticky gluten-free doughs.)  The following chart gives the
measure equivalents for their scoops.  (Note:  The number is incised
on the little scraper inside the bowl of the scoop.)--Carolyn Sullivan

   Scoop   Equivalent   Approximate
   Number    Ounces       Measure

    100        0.6        1 tsp.
     70        0.9
     60        1.0        1 Tbsp.
     50        1.3        1/8 cup
     40        1.6
     30        1.75
     24        2.6        1/4 cup
     20        3.2        1/3 cup
     16        4.0        1/2 cup
     12        5.3
     10        6.4        2/3 cup
      8        8.0        1 cup

                            -=-=-   -=-=-

The Kitchen Glamour Christmas Catalogue suggests the following
portions of dough for use in muffin pans:  1/8 cup for mini muffins;
1/4 cup for standard or medium muffins; and 1/2 cup for giant or mega
muffins.  These would correspond to the Stockel scoop sizes of 50, 24,
and 16 respectively.--Carolyn Sullivan

                            -=-=-   -=-=-

Summer Camp for Celiac Kids: Camp of the Cross invites children who
have completed grades 3-6 to participate in their regular program,
which for the week of July 25-30, 1999 will provide food specifically
tailored to celiac dietary needs.  All campers, whether they need this
special diet or not, will eat the same meals prepared by their
knowledgeable food service coordinator, who has the same dietary
needs. This will be done so no one will be singled out as "different".

Camp of the Cross is a Lutheran Outdoor Ministry which seeks to
communicate God's love for everyone.  All are welcome regardless of
race, creed, gender, or special needs.  The camp is located where the
rolling hills of the prairie meet Lake Sakakawea, a part of the
historically significant Missouri River system.  Activities include
playing games, arts and crafts, swimming, canoeing, sailing, Bible
study, hiking, worship, campfires, and seeing more stars than you
could ever have imagined.  All of this will be done in a cabin group
of about seven other people the same age in addition to a college-age
counselor.

Reservations are on a first-come, first-served basis until the camp is
full.  For more information, write to either Beth Fahlstrom, 3024
Manitoba Lane, Bismarck, ND  58501; or Camp of the Cross, 1228A 47th
Avenue NW, Garrison, ND  58540.   You can also send e-mail inquiries
to [log in to unmask]<2>

                            -=-=-   -=-=-

_The Gluten-Free Cookbook_, by Anne Sheasby, is a new cookbook for
celiacs published in 1998 by Ammess Publishing Inc.  For more
information, write to Lorenz Books, 27 West 20th Street, New York, NY
10011.<3>

                            -=-=-   -=-=-

Traveling in Germany--Continued:  Carl Janthey in Virginia, sent a
question and some additional information regarding the article
"Traveling in the United States and Germany", which appeared in the
Nov./Dec. issue of _The Sprue-nik Press_.  Carl writes:  "My wife
(Elsie) is the celiac but we both found this issue very informative.
I went to the DZG web page for that 'Page in English for travelers',
but [couldn't find it].  Could you tell us how to get this page?"

The page Carl refers to is <http://home.t-online.de/home/dzg.e.v./>.
To get to the page in English you need to click on the US flag that is
located near the bottom of the main page.  From there you will get
some information in English.  (Note:  This web site is quite new and
still in the process of being developed.)

Carl also wrote:  "The translation of the restaurant card was a little
'loose'.  It did not include nausea (belkeit) nor diarrhea
(Durchfall).  'und ich meine Gesundheit nicht gefhrde' translates to
'so I will not endanger my health."

"We have found in our U.S. restaurants that one must be more
specific, such as, 'Does this soup or sauce contain flour or is it
made with starch?'

"In my opinion all the suppen u. saucen (soup and sauce) in South
Germany are made with 'Mehl'=flour."  (This is true in the U.S.  also.
Most sauces start with a flour and butter roux.)  "The forbidden foods
list should include 'Mehl=flour' and 'Panade=breaded'."