From:
Heather Cline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:37:58 EDT

Thanks everyone who responded to my question requesting ideas for local
support group meetings.  I received many.  Here they are:

Ask gluten free companies to provide foods to sample or give as door prizes
at meetings.  Lots of companies do this, including Kinnikinnick Foods, Chebe.
 Go to the websites and ask.

Have a dietitian speak.

Have a Bar-B-Q, ice cream social or pizza party with members bringing their
favorite food, as applies to the theme.

Have a demonstration with a good cook showing how to convert regular recipes
to gluten free.

Have several members research mail order companies and compare shipping
prices and available products at the next meeting.

Have everyone bring their favorite bread, muffins, bagels, English muffins
and share recipes or where they got them.

Make Pizzelles and share (it's a waffle like cookie).

Have a recipe exchange.

Have cooking demonstrations.

Watch Dr. Fine's video or have him speak in person.

Work with a restaurant in developing a gluten free meal and then have your
meeting at that restaurant.

Have a speaker from the Gluten Free Pantry (more like a cook fest than a
speech).

Challenge your members to make something they really miss and have them bring
their attempt to the meeting and their best recipe.

Have a gluten free cooking class or wine tasting or taste test.

Raffle small gifts or centerpieces that pertain to being gluten free.

Get local rice or gluten free company to sponsor the purchase of video and
audio tapes from GIG and CSA.  These deal with DH, rheumatic diseases related
to CS, osteoporosis, diabetes, diagnosing and treating CS and are wonderful
educational tools.

Have a holiday dinner.

Thanks for all the wonderful ideas!  We had a taste test last month and an
ice cream social coming up next month.  I hope this motivates you and gives
you renewed enthusiasm for your local support group!

Heather
Oklahoma City, OK
USA