From:
"Donald D. Kasarda" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 1995 08:30:21 PDT

 >I am wondering about wheat grass.

Reply from Don Kasarda, Albany, CA

The vegetative tissues of wheat or wheat grass should not contain any of the
harmful gluten proteins (harmful to celiac patients, that is).  However, if
heads have formed and grain development initiated, the developing wheat
grains or grass seeds could have harmful proteins.  Thus, if you are sure
that no head development has occurred, you are probably safe in eating wheat
grass.  I am familiar with the sale of juices from wheat grass, but I am not
familiar with actually eating wheat grass.  In the case of the bottled
juices (squeezings, pressings), it would be difficult to know the state of
grass development when the wheat grass was harvested for pressing.  I hope
this will be of some help.