From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Apr 1999 10:39:20 EDT

In the South Jersey area...The local support group director and I are
compiling responses to letters we sent to restaurants regarding accommodating
our needs. (Most restaurants will comply if you go in and ask for reasonable
changes, but what I'm after is awareness on the part of the chef and
waitstaff, to avoid things like, "There is definitely no flour on the
chicken, only alittle breadcrumbs."  And, "Oops, I'll take the croutons off
your salad." Haven't we all heard this?

Last night, I went to Lamberti's Capucina on Brace Rd. in Cherry Hill.
They've done well for other celiacs and was great last night, as well. Be
sure to ask if the chicken is in a glace or glaze(?)...has flour. Waiter
alerted me! Will do order of veggies instead of pasta.  (I haven't tried the
other Lamberti's yet.) All non-smoking.

Fish lovers: Try Barnacle Ben's in Moorsetown, Emerald Fish in Cherry Hill,
Hard Shell Cafe in Marlton.

Steaks: Lone Star said you can eat at any of their nationwide facilities and
ask for no spices if you wish, and no sauce if you wish (butter and margarine
blend.) (I get the spices and sauce and have no reaction.) Their prime rib au
jus has MSG. Do not get the bourbon chicken if you avoid grain alcohol. It's
marinated. The Outback can also cook plain steak for you.

Be specific. Don't take foregranted that they know what you're talking about.
Anyone else with information from chains...let's share specifics. It's still
important to bug our local branches...to educate them and minimize goof-ups
in handling.

Anyone else in the area...want to go out together? My husband and I go out
regularly.
Bon appetit. Linda Goldkrantz