Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 2008 19:22:04 -0500

List from Asheville GIG continued:

Savoy (Italian fine dining)
641 Merrimon Avenue
Asheville, NC 28804
828-253-1077
828-252-6776 fx
Always a few options here w/ fish or other seafood.
 Reservations for dinner are strongly recommended.  Not
necessary for lunch.

FIG
18 Brook St # 101
Asheville, NC 28803
(828) 277-0889
Small little restaurant that serves American cuisine.  Fine
dining and very good.  The chef was very helpful is
supplying me with several options on the menu.  Parts of
the menu changes with the seasons.

Mama Citas (Mexican – eat in or take out; very quick and
reasonble)
77 Biltmore Ave
Asheville, NC 28801
(828) 255-8080
www.mamacitasgrill.com
I go here a lot and get the nacho dadio or nacho mama.
 These are GF options and you add what you want on top.
 All fresh organic ingredients.  They have corn tacos too
if you want to go that route.

MELA (Indian Cuisine, downtown)
70 N Lexington Ave
Asheville, NC
(828) 225-8880
Most of their menu is GF except for the bread and
appetizers that are fried.  Lots of choices and reasonable
prices.  They have a good lunch buffet too where almost
everything is GF.

Stoney Knob
337 Merrimon Ave.
Weaverville, NC 28787
828.645.3309
fax. 828.658.0035
www.stoneyknobcafe.com
Our GIG group took a restaurant outing to this great
establishment a few years ago.  The wait staff are always
friendly and helpful about choosing safe options.  I even
had a waitress last year who herself was gluten intolerant.
 Sunday brunch is great; also open for lunch and dinner.
 Very good restaurant.

Green Sage Coffee House and Café
5 Broadway
Asheville, NC 28801
828-252-4450
One of our support group members reports that they have
gluten-free items to choose from. It has been a positive
eating experience for him.

O’Naturals
1829 Hendersonville Rd.
Asheville, NC 28803
828-274-4102
www.onaturals.com
They advertise as “Fast food, naturally”. They have a
fairly good understanding of preparing gluten-free and
preventing cross-contamination. There is a fairly wide
selection of GF choices and there is GF bread for
sandwiches. One of the best aspects is that you can watch
your sandwich/salad preparation and choose additions as you
go.

Longhorn Steakhouse
3 RESTAURANT COURT &#8232;
ASHEVILLE, NC 28805&#8232;
828-225-2838
This restaurant has a gluten-free menu. They also state on
the menu that they do not have a GF kitchen, but they will
make every attempt to meet the needs of a GF diet. The menu
is fairly extensive. &#8232;

Luella’s Bar-B-Que
Skyland Crest Shopping Center
1950 Hendersonville Rd.
Asheville, NC 28803
828-684-2030
This restaurant has lots of good meal choices. The manager
is very knowledgeable about what is gluten-free and what
isn’t. The food is tasty too!

Stir Fry Café
1829 Hendersonville Rd.
Asheville, NC 28803
828-505-4934
The chef at this restaurant is very knowledgeable about
what is and is not gluten-free. If you are there at a time
that is less busy, he will even make a gf sauce for you.
The food is delicious!

--I live in Asheville....

There is one local restaurant that does some GF food....
The Corner Kitchen
Chef and Owner - Joe Scully.
Address: 3 Boston Way in Biltmore Village.
828-274-2439.

Our local GIG has had some events there and the staff knows
about GF menu.
There is another local restaurant that is a small chain
where some staff is knowledgeable about GF choices on their
menu and they will make stuff to order (or they have for
me.)

Doc Chey's
37 Biltmore Avenue
Asheville, NC 28801
828-252-8220

--I was also cautioned about Indian restaurants (in
general, not just in Asheville). The writer was not totally
certain the Indian flours used were GF, also feared cross
contamination (gluten-containing breads and other items are
made at these restaurants), and finally believed there is
sometimes a language barrier that prevents clear
communication on what the GF diner needs.

Shirley Braden
King George, VA