From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Dec 1997 23:50:02 EST

Miscellaneous Notes:
--------------------

Recent Conferences:  Elsewhere in this newsletter you will find
write-ups of the 1997 CSA/USA and American Celiac Society conferences.
These are in no way "complete"; the only way to really gain all you
can is to attend these conferences yourselves.  Cost, travel, school,
and time off of work are all factors that make attendance difficult;
but it is really worthwhile attending one of these yourselves.

Much of what you pick up at a conference comes from the atmosphere and
the other people as much as the speakers and formal sessions.  There
are cookbook authors who both make presentations and mingle with the
crowd during breaks.  There are always new food products and the
opportunity to meet the people behind the companies that make them.
For example, this year Sam Wylde of Energy Foods brought donuts
directly from his factory in Seattle.  They were so warm and fresh
they steamed up the windows in his car and perfumed the auditorium.

No matter how thoroughly we write up our experiences, there is always
going to be much that we will miss.  Make it a point to find the time
and money for a celiac conference next year!

Zithromax Is GF:  Zithromax (Z-Pak) is a new antibiotic from Pfizer
Co.  TCCSSG member Claire Coyer called and confirmed that in both
tablet and capsule forms this antibiotic is gluten-free (GF).  For
more information call (800) 438-1985.