From:
Jill Tongen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 12:11:18 -0700

Original question:  "Can someone tell me about Vance's Darifree
Beverage?"   Most of you really seem to enjoy Vance's Darifree.
However, I did recieve three responses saying "yuck".  I've added a
summary with some "descriptions" of texture and flavor for those of you
wanting to try the product.  There were also  3 recommendatons for Blue
Diamond Almond Breeze.  Seems everyone has their own taste preference
and it's  "try it until you find the one that's right for you".  Thanks
for your help, Jill/Texas

It tastes pretty good - sweet.  It has honey in it.  Nice and white,
great on cereal or to drink alone. It is also corn free, soy free, GF.
Has calcium in it, but don't rely on it for protein.

Vance's is great!  It tastes slightly vanilla and is delicious.  I use
it in cooking, baking and cereal in the morning.  I don't drink it
straight and do make awesome hot cocoa with it.  I used Hershey's syrup
which is gf.  Try it.  We have tried them all and hated everything else
but this.

It tastes a lot like Half & Half, but with no fat and more calcium than
regular milk.  You can mix as much as you like to the consistency that
you like too.

I use Darifree as a dry milk substitute.  We don't really
care for it as something to drink.  The best subs we have found for
drinking are  Naturally Almond - vanilla flavored (Kroger and Whole
Foods have it) and our favorite: Almond Breeze, the plain for cooking
and on cereal, the vanilla and chocolate for drinking.

I tried it and the powder looked and smelled like Dream Whip (whipped
topping in a box mix) so I made it into milk, following the directions
carefully and let it get good and cold....YUCK, it was horrible, to me
anyway.  Went back to drinking Lactaid, which I don't really like either
but it is a whole lot better than the Dairy Free.

It's pretty good.  I use it all the time and so far no complaints, even
from milk drinkers.

I use Dairyfree on my cereal and I like it; it does not taste like milk,
but it is not unpleasant.

I have used Vance's for a few years now--it is gluten-free.  It smells
like almonds when in dry form, and tastes bland with no particular
aftertaste like, for instance, soy milk.   Not as thick as milk. It's
made from potatoes and has as much calcium as milk does.

This is the product I use.  It seems wonderful.  I use it in my breads
and any recipe that calls for powder milk.  Just to smell it it's
wonderful.This stuff makes great hot chocolate.  I've mixed it up for
milk in recipes.

The best milk substitute is plain Blue Diamond Almond Breeze. It is made

from  almonds and tastes the most like real milk.  It will even "sour"
to make "buttermilk" when you add vinegar to it. It is also easier to
find. You might find it at some supermarkets including some Albertson's.
It also comes in chocolate and vanilla flavors. I prefer plain. Vanilla
would be okay in cereal.