From:
Steve Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Aug 1995 10:28:27 -0700

>If you need a small amount of almond flour, you can always grind it yourself.
>The desired texture is always not attainable at home with most blenders,
>but for a few tablespoons this may not be a factor.

For grinding specialty flours, you may want to acquire a flour mill.
These are available nationwide at stores catering to Mormon church members
(Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints), who often have a "year's
supply" of food -- often in raw unground wheat form
These tools can grind things other than wheat.
Generally, 3 types are available:
  The high-speed steel-blade disintegrator,
  the stone grinding wheel type
  the steel-blade grinder.

Of these, the stone grinding wheel type should probably be avoided because
it is more prone to retain some protein from one grain and mix it with
another (You don't want to inherit residue from your brother's wheat), and
also because it may clog if used on oily things.

I have a high-speed disintegrator type mill.  These are sold under the
brand names "magic mill" and "KTEC."  Both brands also have stone grinding
wheel type mills available.  There are some imitators available also.

Mine is very effective for reducing any of the following to a nice, fine,
flour"
WARNING: note that not all of these foods are suitable for a celiac.  I've
been using this mill for years,
long before I suspected celiac style problems
split peas
lentils
beans, so long as they are smaller than a pinto bean (small white are ok),
and so long as they are not a high oil type (peanuts are too fatty, so
probably are soybeans).  Too much oil will clog the mill.
quinoa
amaranth
buckwheat groats
wheat
rye
triticale
rolled oats
oat grain
popcorn
corn meal - if you want it really fine ground
rice
instant potato flakes

If you want to take a fatty food like peanuts or soybeans and grind them,
you may want to take the oil out first.  Two processes, used commercially
for removing fat, can be done on a small scale if you can
scrounge/build/improvise the equipment.

The most important of these processes is "steam distilation"
This process requires that you
mash the food, although not as fine as flour,
boil water,
pass the steam through the food,
condense the steam in a condenser, to form a liquid
               you can skim the oil off the top
take the remaining mashed food, dry it.  This may be ground into flour
              food dryers are available at the same stores as bread mills

--
Steve Barton