From:
Ann Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 03:52:02 EDT

The recent posts concerning the plight of celiacs who are living in long-term
care facilities made me think of my own grandmother who is now deceased.
When I found out this summer that I had gluten intolerance, my mother said
that my grandmother also had the problem.  I remember that she always ate the
same things, but I didn't know why.  When she had a stroke and was put in a
nursing home, my parents did not speak up for her and discuss her dietary
needs.  I don't think they really understood it.  So it made me sad to think
about how she must have suffered, being unable to speak for herself.

We need to think about what we can do now to better the lives of celiacs who
are in nursing homes.  I believe a good project for celiac support groups
would be to visit all of the long-term care facilities in their area in the
year 2001 and to give a presentation about the illness and the celiac diet.
If those people who give these presentations learn of other ways that we can
volunteer to help other celiacs, they should share it on the list.

If anyone has already put a presentation together, I would appreciate any
information that you would like to share with me.   I would also appreciate
any other ideas about what should and should not be included in this type of
presentation.  I would like to share this at our next celiac support group
meeting in November.  I will summarize for the list.

Taking these steps now will improve our lives as celiacs when we are older.
You can't know the future, or who will be there to assist you if you need
long-term care.  We do reap what we sow.

Ann Smith
San Antonio, Texas