Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2006 20:46:54 -0500

Just wanted to update everyone on what I found worked
well for thanksgiving, since you were all so generous
in providing advice for my very first gf holiday.
Thanks again!

I "tested" many many recipes prior to the big day, and
this is what I found:

1 - Stuffing/dressing:  I used Cybros Rice Bread and it
worked great in my regular dressing recipe.  I also tried
a country white bread ordered from Deby's gluten free - it
was okay but had a slight "gf" aftertaste.  The Cybros tasted
like normal.  I did have to add extra liquid for it to
not be dry.

2 - Cornbread:  I tried several recipes from online and
from on the box, subst. for the flour (if called for)
with either Arrowhead All Purpose GF Baking Mix, Bette
Hagman's rice/potato starch/tapioca flour blend, or a
combo of both.  All turned out fine - it's just a
preference on which recipe you like better.

3 - Gravy:  I just used the drippings from the turkey
and added in a mixture of cornstarch and gf chicken
broth (stirred together prior to adding in with the heat)
and it turned out fine.  I also used Maxwell's Wheat Free/
Gluten Free gravy mix and it was good too.

4 - Pies/dessert:  I tried several pie crust recipes ahead
of time.  All were okay, but only one tasted good enough
(IMHO) to serve to people who eat gluten and expect "normal"
food: 'Cause You're Special Pie Crust Mix'.  Next time I
use it I might try butter-flavored shortening, but it
tasted good with the regular shortening (even everyone
else thought so too when I did my taste tests ahead of
time).  Second best was GF Pantry Pie Crust Mix in terms
of taste and looking like a pie crust.  Some of the
all-purpose baking mixes with millet flour bake up tasting decent,
but they don't look like pies or have the texture of
pies.  Others I tried:  Pamela's Wheat Free Bread Mix,
Hodgson's Mill All-Purpose Baking Mix, Bette Hagman's
Vinegar Pastry recipe, and Chebe Cinnamon Bread mix.

I also made the pumpkin bar recipe provided here a few
weeks ago, and everyone loved it, altho it was more
"cakey" and I was expecting brownie consistency for some
reason.

Hopefully my experiences will help out with the upcoming
holidays and future thanksgiving meals!