Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 11:26:17 -0600

Listers,

Because a message came through on the list the other day that stated Jimmy
Dean Pre-Cooked Sausage is NOT GF, I called them today to clarify.  My son
eats this sausage nearly every day.

A representative named Theresa initially told me that the company could not
guarantee that the pre-cooked sausage was GF.  I then asked her to check
into it, since the only remotely suspicious ingredient is caramel coloring,
which in my experience and the reading I have done, is rarely made from
wheat.  She put me on hold for a minute or two and returned with this
statement.

"As of 8/20/03, ALL the pre-made sausages are GF.  The biscuits and
breakfast sandwiches contain gluten (duh!)."  The bread-containing
sandwiches are NOT MADE IN THE SAME FACTORY AS THE SAUSAGES (emphasis mine)
so there is also no cross-contamination worry.

She offered to send me coupons, which I am grateful for.  I also talked to
her about the company actually putting "gluten-free" on their packaging, and
told her that I specifically purchase products from companies like Hormel
who do this.  She also said that they are getting so many calls from people
on GF diets, and the more calls, the more the Marketing Dept. will pay
attention.  Even if it takes a few more minutes out of your day, please
double-check when a message comes around saying that one of your favorite
products is *not* GF.  The companies keep track of the requests and believe
me, if there is an untapped market, they are interested.  Look at all the
low-carb products that are starting to appear on shelves!

Juliane