From:
Nancy Newlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 1997 11:36:17 -0700

To add to Douglas's summary about wine:

IF you have a problem with eggs, note that wine is sometimes clarified
("fined) with egg protein.  Here's a quote from an email I received from
Sue Ebeler, on the faculty of the Viticulture & Enology Department at
UC Davis (California) regarding my inquiry about eggs used in winemaking:

Yes eggs (the whites) are used in winemaking as a "fining" agent.  They are
not used in all wines.  It's very dependent on the winery, the winemaker,
etc.  Other protein agents that may also be used are casein, gelatin,
isinglass (a protein from fish bones) and some non-protein compounds such
as bentonite, and polysaccaride gums may also be used.

Most of the proteins (or other fining agents) are allowed to precipitate
out of solution and/or are filtered to remove them.  The actual amount of
residual protein that is left should be quite small, but I do not know if
it is enough to cause an allergic reaction.

As with other discussions of what food is used to make dextrose, citric acid,
and other food additives that have recently been discussed on this list, the
use of proteins to clarify wine, according to Prof. Ebeler,  varies greatly.
Like the person who is now avoiding citric acid, I am not consuming
any wine, since I have an intolerance for eggs as well as dairy (she mentions
casein as a possible fining agent) and the quantity of these foods remaining in
the finished wine is pretty impossible to determine.

Nancy