Date:
Wed, 7 May 2003 23:18:24 -0400

 Thankyou to all who replied and apologies for taking so long to reply. My son(10) is undiagnosed but obviously having Celiac type problems. I was afraid of others giving him gluten ,not realizing the cost to his health, about being able to afford the diet for him, and rather he would cheat when I'm not there. Now it feels possible with some input from people with experience and who actually know what Celiac is.

  I'll try not to miss any key points.

 The number one suggestion is to start slowly adding GF foods to his diet by just buying GF foods at home so he'll see that there are plenty of enjoyable foods to eat.The idea is not to even let them know at first that they are eating GF. I did this and compared to some of the junk that I was buying for the kids, the price is comparable. And it's almost cheaper because we aren't eating separately. And they like what we've had so far.

 There were plenty of easy to make recipes for lunches.If anybody wants them,feel free to e-mail and I 'll send them.

 There was a suggestion to sit down with the school and teachers that his behavoir(yes it's getting bad in school too) may be due to Celiac and that this is our chance at trying to control it and that they will probably be very co-operative. What teacher wants to mess with a good thing when it comes their way.

 One suggested that we just tell the school that he has a diagnoses but cautioned about any risks that go along with that. I guess it could catch up to us.

 There were lot's of offers of support and who doesn't need that.Thank you and I hope that I can return the kindness.

 Also someone had cautioned that with his behavoir and symptoms  that it's very important that we get some professional help and I totally agree.

 Many felt that once he starts feeling betting after being totally GF, and of course he has to want to do it, that he'll want to stay GF on his own. If anything his stomach aches are getting worse and more frequent so I pray that that will be the first to clear for him.

 As for other adults, they may slip them food anyway, but so far I've been cynical about their behavoir.His father is getting concerned about him too, so Well see, and I do have supportive friends who know and respect the situation.And a good family that don't really believe that it could be the cause of their own problems, but they aren't about to go against anyones wishes for each other and our kids.

 I hope that I didn't miss anything. Please feel free to write if anyone has questions.I can go through the responses to find more answers.

 Monica in KY