Date:
Wed, 9 May 2007 13:07:01 -0500

Hi All--

Background: A couple of months ago, I asked the list if there was anything
specific I needed to do or not do when going through a gluten challenge.
Seven years ago, my sera and biopsy were negative, but some of my GI
symptoms were relieved by going GF. The last time I ate a meal containing
gluten (before going GF), I ended up in the ER with severe upper right
quadrant abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, profuse sweating and skyrocketing
liver enzymes. The only thing the ER doc noted to me was that I exhibited
quite a lot of air in the upper abdomen on x-ray (nice way to say I had gas,
I guess).

The reason(s) I wanted to know for sure if I have celiac disease are because
I don't want to have to eat a GF diet if it's not necessary, and if I don't
have CD, my docs - and I - need to know what's going on with my liver. My
cholesterol level is up and they are reluctant to put me on a statin. My
liver enzyme levels went down to normal eventually, but they are creeping up
again, even being GF. So....I adventured out on a gluten challenge two weeks
ago.

I bought a Chicago-style non-GF roll from Publix and carried it off to work
with me. At 9:30 a.m., I ate a quarter sized piece of the roll. At 12:30 p.m.,
the pain began. The only thing I hadn't ever done when the pain and nausea,
etc. hit me pre-GF days, was to take an antacid. This time, since the ER doc
had mentioned I had quite a lot of "air," I started to chew Rolaids. After
approx. 6 tablets over a 2-hour period, the pain stopped. I don't know if my
liver enzymes rose or not.

The only conclusion I can draw from that mini-challenge/test is that I'm
reacting to either the wheat or the gluten. If I had thought this out
better, I would have bought just gluten at the health food store. So, I
don't know if I'm sensitive to wheat or gluten or both. Too, I have a hard
time believing "gas" could cause such severe symptoms as nausea, vomiting,
pain requiring narcotic pain medication and such profuse sweating. No
bloating, no diarrhea. I don't know any more than before except that I don't
want to do that again and we don't know what made the liver enzymes spike to
10x normal.

If anyone has any thoughts on this, I would be more than happy to hear
them...I'm stumped.  ~~Ayn in Alabama

*******
*******