From:
P Blackman/ R Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 12:49:36 -0500

Today I got results from stool tests from Enterolab and I am trying
to put them into some kind of perspective.

  I am 45, have lost 35 lbs. in last 15 months, am anemic, osteopenic,
have mild malabsorption, gastritis that was treated and pretty much
vanquished, but daily diarrhea and mucus and complete stoppage when I
eat wheat corn potatoes rice or any starch.  Biopsy (done before GFdiet)
was negative.  IgG was "weakly positive" 1:6 Gastroenterologist says
that since going GF didn't radically improve me in 4 weeks (until I also
eliminated the other starches) that I don't have CD.  Have been scoped
up and down and have no UC or Crohns.  Results from Enterolab :

Gluten sensitivity stool test
Fecal Antigliadin IgA                 11 Units      (Negative <10 Units)
Stool Test for Autoimmune Reaction to Tissue Transglutaminase
Fecal Antitissue transglutaminase IgA     17 Units    (Negative <10 Units)

The results from the gene testing will be available soon.

Now, my questions.

I had been gluten free for 4 1/2 months prior to the test.

How does the stool test for Ttg compare to the blood test?  Does
anyone else do the stool test?  Do other physicians accept it as
diagnostic of CD?  How do these levels compare with most celiacs on a
GF diet?  Is there any other reason to have an elevated Ttg?
I have read only praise for Dr. Fine but am always leary of
practitioners who sell the tests they recommend. Someone wrote to
this list a while back that she'd never read a letter from any
listmember who DIDN'T test  positive.  Is his work accepted by the
other experts in the field? (Drs. Murray, Horvath, Greene, etc.)

I'm sure many of you have been in this quandary.  Have I just been
given a diagnosis or do I keep looking?  I am of course totally
conflicted anyway - want a diagnosis but not this one (although
compared to the possibilities it isn't so bad!)

Thanks for wading through this and for any feedback,
Phoebe