From:
Cindy Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 08:58:57 -0500

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and help in finding previous
relevant posts.  I will include only new information in this summary.

Dentsply (800-989-8825, www.dentsply.com) - I called them and was told
that their entire NUPRO line of products is GF.  I asked about wheat,
oats, barley & rye and the representative said they are very aware of
gluten and get several phone calls a day about it.  This product line
includes:  prophy paste for cleaning/polishing, topical fluoride, and a
tooth whitening system.

Reliance Orthodontics Products (800-323-4348,
www.relianceorthodontics.com) - I called them since they carry an
unflavored pumice (for cleaning/polishing) that is used at my daughter's
dentist office.  The company would not discuss the ingredients on the
phone but were willing to fax the ingredient list to her dentist.  There
are only a few simple ingredients which all appear to be GF.  The
product is called "1st and Final" and her dentist said it is also used
in orthodontics.

-----------

Suggestions by other listmates:

ProDentec (800-228-5595, www.prodentec.com) - carries a line of GF
dental products

Sultan Dental Products (201-894-5500, 800-238-6739,
www.sultandental.com) - Customer Service says the following are GF:
Topex Pina Colada Prophy Paste (the only flavor that is) and Topex
Topical Anestetic Gel (numbing agent).  Note: their Flouride Foam and
other prophy pastes DO contain gluten

I am a dental hygienist who is also a celiac.  To my knowledge Nupro
Prophy paste is gluten free. The Helio seal sealant is also gluten free.
I'm not sure about the fluoride, but if your child is taking fluoride
vitamins and brushes daily with a fluoride toothpaste, doesn't get
excessive decay, you can probably forgo the fluoride treatment.

My daughter's dentist is very supportive and even studied celiac disease
(briefly) in dental school.  If anyone is looking for a pediatric
dentist in Metrowest Boston, send me a line.

Cindy in Massachusetts