From:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Dec 1999 10:35:57 -0500

Listmates,

I am among those--I daresay, the large majority--who feel Wendy's
question about degrees of gluten sensitivity and what amount of
gluten causes overt symptomatic reactions is perfectly valid.

Her phrasing was quite clear, as was her statement that she fully
understands that intestinal damage happens irrespective of overt
symptoms. She carefully avoided suggesting that a little gluten might
be okay.

Probably there is no way to avoid the intemperate sort of response
questions like hers inevitably evoke, but I think it is important for
us to discourage  those who, against logic and reason, answer
legitimate curiosity in insulting and even abusive language. Such
about the anomalies of this condition, the better. Variable
sensitivity is certainly among those anomalies.

Mary Brown
NYC