From:
Virginia Mingolla <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2007 15:52:10 -0400

Thank you to everyone who sent a reply to my question on the connections
between MS & Celiac.

These are the best links I either received or found on my own:
http://jccglutenfree.googlepages.com/multiplesclerosis

http://www.direct-ms.org/

http://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=126&p_catid=100&sid=91hH9H1kg5By48T-47107467461.f9

http://paleodiet.com/ms/#celiac

I found this information which might be interesting to you.  But as   you
say, it is old.  They state that it seems the studies stopped after the
use of prednisone began, which caused healing for the MS,   but it also
causes healing of the villi.  Interesting, wouldn't you say?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------I
don't know about any possible connections, but I do know that people on MS
are put on a strict GF diet if the physician is knowledgeable.

I don't know if it is also a casein-free diet (a lot of products don't
contain milk but do contain milk protein - casein).

You may want to contact National Multiple Sclerosis Society and find out:
http://www.NationalMSSociety.org
I don't know if the letters really need to be capitalized.

Enjoy Life Foods, a Chicago-area GF products company, was started because
the owner's mother has MS. The GF diet helped her to stop using a
wheelchair, because she improved so much on the GF diet.

Of course, IF it calls for a casein-free diet, that is equally important.
I don't know if you are like me but the first thing I did was search the
archives and ask the same question without much reply from anyone.  I did
find if I put Celiac and MS in on www.Celiac.com <http://www.celiac.com/>
I got a list of the information articles that they have put together.  I
think it was the best thing I found.  You may have already done this
because it was one of the first things I did was googled Celiac and MS.
Most of what I have found is stories from people, but a glimmer of hope.
 there is a connection you can check the brain talk community gluten
sensitivity/celiac forum & a lot of those people are also on the Gluten
Free and
Beyond forum (a new forum) becuase brain talk crashed last year & a lot of
data was lost.

  your daughter needs to go gluten free ASAP, & I also suggest that she
not eat the
replacement things like gluten free bread etc etc etc....I am checking
into the
paleo diet at the monent - but it is not for everyone, in that I think you
have to get to that point....
---------------------------------------------------------------------------Has
she been tested for B12 deficiency? If so, what was the result. People can
have
be too low in B12 and still test in the "normal" level. Let me know if you
want more
info on B12. Years ago I knew someone who was diagnosed with MS. She was in a
wheelchair. Turns out is was a B12 deficiency.

Has she had her vitamin D tested. There is a strong link between low
vitamin D and
MS. Just like B12, a "normal" level of vitamin D may really be dangerously
low.
http://www.vitamindcouncil.com/researchMS.shtml

All celiac disease is gluten intolerance, but not all gluten intolerance
is celiac
disease.

*******
*******