Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 02:01:20 -0500

Thank you to all who replied to my request. It seems that there are many
more people interested in the summary, so I guess there are a lot of us
Celiacs who need implants.

Here are the replies I received:

Linda, If you have osteoporosis or any have taken foxamax or actenol for
osteoporosis prevention, check out the the internet re: bone death in the
jaw.  Make sure your dental professional is up on this problem and can
assure you that your jaw is healthy.

I am having it done later this month. I am going to MCV (Medical College of
Virginia Scholl of Dentistry). According to the Doctors this treatment is
very safe for Celiacs.

Yes -
Find out materials used - all materials used - and check with
manufacturers for gluten-free status. This includes mouth rinse,
anything else.  Dentist/oral surgeon should use powder-free
gloves, such as Nitrile. Some powdered gloves are wheat starch
or Oatrim, others are corn starch.

Also - If you take biphosphonates - Actonel or Fosamax - Be
sure to let your dentist/oral surgeon know, and how much, and
how long you have been taking it. In the USA, there have been
1500 cases (a tiny percentage) of women who took Fosamax for
years, had teeth extracted, and developed "jaw bone death" of a
part of the lower jaw.

I don't know that implants would have any risk like that, but it
doesn't hurt to ask.

If you need a link to an article on "jaw bone death," let me know.
The risk is very small, but it has happened with that product, in
some women who have taken it for years.