Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 2004 16:26:25 -0700

I'm with you!! I hate GF bread, cookies, cakes, etc. Instead of eating
such horrible foods I go for tasty things that I truly enjoy and also
carry leftovers for my lunch at work (or when there are none -- freshly
made (in the morning) stir fries, micro-waved baked potatoes, etc). My
only baking recently has been occasional quinoa cookies and muffins,
which I do enjoy.  I, too, was an experienced baker (40+ years
experience!) before being diagnosed. I thought I would master the
"technique" of making delicious GF baked items, but finally decided I did
not even like eating my "successes." I'm enjoying the GF diet much more
since giving up the quest for the impossible!  Maureen
-------------
. . . When I was first diagnosed in 1997, I began buying the gf bread
mixes and also the already prepared breads. I felt terrible, and was not
healing. So I literally stopped eating all gf breads, cookies, crackers,
etc. and my health improved tremendously. You're right. The nutrition
content of most of those bread items is terrible.
Hope someone.....especially someone who is struggling to get better after
just being diagnosed.....listens to you. It's the first thing I tell
people who are new to the gf diet. Eat whole foods. Eliminate the junk.
Christie in TX
--------------
That is exactly where we are with the GF bread/buns/baking, who needs it?
It does not rise, always heavy, before and after one eats it, . . . We
even found a bake shop that would make it fresh for us, at $3.99 a loaf,
8" long, 4" wide and maybe 2- 2 1/2" high, and also makes hamburg buns,
but we just don't care anymore if we eat the bread, etc. Joan
---------------
I was diagnosed with Celiac 5 months ago. I have started cooking larger
portions for dinner, and bringing the leftovers to work the next day for
lunch. It works out well for me because I feel like I am eating healthier
and I'm am starting to feel better. Instead of loading up on GF snacks
full of fat, carbs, and empty calories, I eat more fruits, veggies,
chicken, fish and sometimes (once in awhile) I will have red meat. I have
never tried to make GF breads and now after reading your post, I don't
think I will need to!  Brooke in FL
--------------
I haven't gone into making gluten free bread because I'm a bit lazy, if
truth be known.  However I've also had a kind of negative reaction from
eating highly refined carbohydrates, whether containing gluten or not.
I make myself, some mornings, pancake-like concoctions made of brown rice
flour, amaranth or quinoa flour, egg, milk, salt, and fry them up as my
bread for the day.  This works for me. I like using the brown rice flour
for the fiber, and adding a little quinoa for greater protein and sense
of 'substance'.  The proportions are about 3-1, brown rice to quinoa.  I
fry them a bit longer than regular pancakes as it seems the quinoa needs
this greater cooking . . . Sometimes I add baking soda, if I want them
airy . . . I make these when I haven't had much refined starch for a
while and feel a need for it.   Karen
-------------
. . . My son loves the Garbanzo Bean bread from Bette Hagman's bread
book.  When I don't use too much water (that was the trick for me to
figure out), it comes out great every time.  It is high in protein, and I
add Flaxseed and/or almond meal in place of some of the flour to add more
nutrition.  I wanted to let you know that we can get nutrients into our
children in the bread.  But since you've found a good substitute, I wish
you well for years to come.  Lesli
amen, I pretty much skip the bread altogether and my figure has improved
considerably....
I never eat bread of any kind and absolutely don't miss it.

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!