Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 10:53:54 -0400

        I recently attended a meeting of the Tri-County Celiac Sprue
Support Group (TCCSSG) in Southfield, MI.  Bette Hagman was the speaker
at the meeting and someone asked her about cornflour.  She said that for
purposes of recipes, cornstarch or potato starch can be used.  However,
she wanted to caution us that in England cornflour refers to a starch
made from any grain.  It is essentially the equivalent of modified food-
starch in the United States.  My fiance said that he did some research
and in England corn means staple grain.  So I am assuming cornflour
could be made from wheat, rye, barley, oats, as well as from corn.

        I realize that there are several Gluten Free mail order
companies in the United States and Canada that carry products from
England but I assume that they have verified that these products meet
the United States and Canada guidelines.  I just wanted to pass along
the warning in case someone ran across a new product at a health food or
grocery store that looked safe.  Hope this information is helpful.  I
did search the archives first and there was a message from 1994 where
this information was provided in more technical form.  There was also a
message from Australia posted in December of 2000-warning that cornflour
can contain wheat in Australia and New Zealand.  However, all the
messages I found in the last three years referred to cornflour as being
the same as cornstarch in the U.S. and no mention of possible other
grains as the source of the cornflour.  My apologies to the listserv
members in places other than the U.S. and Canada if this is old news to you.

Abigail, Toledo, OH, U.S.