From:
Chris Hanisco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Hanisco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 2004 09:07:10 -0400

Hi everyone!

Thank you so much to those of you that replied to my questions about any
physical changes in your bodies since going gluten free. I received 33
emails and each response was really helpful and informative! Thank you all
for your replies! I am sorry if I wasn't able to reply to you yet.

Many of us noticed the following after going GF:

 - Increase in breast size in women (pretty cool side effect, depending on
whether you are already endowed or not!)
 - Darker skin coloring, more of a glow, softer skin
 - Pinker nail beds & hands, stronger, healthier nails
 - Hair grew back in, healthier hair
 - Body reshaped itself, better fat distribution, more muscle

Here are some excerpts (in 2 parts) from the emails I received that I felt
were pretty interesting. I hope you don't mind me quoting them...

----------

[replying about breast enlargement] "I couldn't believe my eyes when I read
this!  The same thing happened to me about 6 months after going GF.  I hope
it stops because I don't need anymore."

"Here's one for you -- my teenage son smells weird when he has had gluten --
it's hard to describe -- but I can definitely tell."

"I had had a lot of problems with brittle, broken nails. After I went on the
GF diet, my nails returned to health. Why? Nail problems are a symptom, not
of CD, but of anemia."

"My breasts have gotten larger too--and I am less happy about it than you."

"My hair was also very thin before going GF six months ago.  It has really
come back to normal. ..... body changes I've noticed are weight gain, less
joint pain,
better skin. Some of this is attributable to taking casein out of my diet,
too."

"I rarely have canker sores now that I am on the gluten free diet."

"I too have had many of the changes you mention. I now have healthy hair,
nails and skin! My body fat distribution patterns have changed greatly
although I never got back the cup size I lost with my son ;) Although not a
"physical" change-- my mental state has changed greatly. I am now a positive
happy person rather than a manical depressed one."

"I also had hair loss, restless leg syndrome, 25 lb. weight loss, pale skin,
brain fog and fatigue.  Since November, I have regained 22 lbs. and the
weight has been distributed all over including my face.  I no longer have
pain when I sit on a hard surface like before."

"In addition to having significantly less edema once my stomach started
running better, I noticed shortly after going GF that I no longer had
blurred vision or 'heart-like' trouble.  The strangest change, however, is
that I am fairly sure my skin tone is actually more olive-y than before.
Several people have commented, 'have you gotten sun lately?' even though it
has been rainy and I have been inside studying all of the time."

"The palms of my hands and nail beds now have a pink tinge, where they were
pale and almost white before.  After a period of time the whites of my nails
that were kinda grey, started growing off and white coming on.  There was a
definite line on each nail where the change took place.  The fact that I
started taking Actonel for Osteoporsis about the same time, may have
contributed to this.  My stomach is not as pronounced now.  My hair finally
stopped falling out by the handfuls, when I showered.   I also have the
breast improvement....I had actually considered getting a padded bra before.
I can now walk with my sister who is 6 years older than I and keep up with
her, and I couldn't before."

"My fingernails are still getting stronger and healthier and it ha been
nearly 3 years. The nails on my pinky toes were so thin that they barely
existed.  These have grown back and look normal.  My nails are are
absolutely stiff!  My complexion has improved, and interestingly, the large
fibroids in my breasts have disappeared.  My hair has grown in beautifully
around the temples, where I was beginning to see hair loss, and is now the
thickest it has ever been, and really silky.  Of course, these are just
external signs of returning health.  The best has been that I do not catch
ever single cold that comes along, and that I have energy once again."

"My changes were no more dandruff, no more plaque on my teeth and a better
personality because I am not down all the time anymore."

"My skin texture and tone improved--I was not aware that it was that bad
until it got very soft.  My touch sensation greatly improved.  Physically,
everything seemed to shift around into all the right places.  I am 46 years
old and I have finally improved in the bra size. ...... I think the bloating
masked the "real me"--all there, but hidden because of gluten reactions.  I
have a shape; i.e. a waistline which I never had even before 4 pregnancies.
I am 15 pounds lighter now--and I never have to "watch what I eat" except
for gluten.  I notice with accidental gluten, I bloat with water.  I have
both bowel and bladder problems when I eat gluten.  No more gobs of hair in
the shower drain anymore.  My hair is mostly all GF hair (18 mos GF) and the
texture is soft and wavy now versus wiry and frizzy and unmanageable.  The
changes have been amazingly positive."

"I felt like I would live .... intestional obstructions/kinks stopped.I'd
had five, had an intusseption/nearly died .... a few feet of intestine was
removed. I also put on weight in 8 yrs about 60 lbs (no, I didn't get fat
just got up to 130 -140 lbs.)"

"I have had pretty much all of the same changes. I believe this is just the
result of our intestines working the way they are supposed to."

Continued.... see Summary #2!
Christine