From:
Linda Sowry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 22:53:51 EST

   I was just reading Abigail's poll results and her comment about damaged
villi.....

   "I assumed that celiacs would have even more difficulty than the general
population since we have had so much damage to our villi (even from accidental
gluten consumption)."

   I had an upper GI (endoscopy) done about a year and a half after being
gluten-free.  I had an upper and lower done about two years previous which
diagnosed me as Celiac.  My doctor said my intestines looked normal and that
it was a night and day difference between the two tests.  I say this to say
that if we are on a gluten-free diet, our intestines are not damaged and our
villi are healthy - even with accidental gluten consumption.  I don't worry
about the vinegar or alcohol issue in ingredient lists, or many items with
trace amounts of gluten.  Once I pulled out the wrong leftover spaghetti and
ate it and was hardly the worse for it.  I thought eating that much gluten
would put me back a few days or so like it used to when I was first diagnosed
and learning the diet.  But it didn't effect me at all like it used to because
my intestines aren't the messed up damaged things they used to be.

   I light of my point that intestines on a GF diet are healed or normal, how
can trace amounts of gluten send people back into bouts of pre-diagnosis
symptoms?  I'm sure it can have affects, but I would think they would be
greatly reduced.  I am not trying to say any thing offensive to people who
react to trace amounts, I know your pain is real, I'm just bringing up a point
that has me questioning and wanting others input.  I'm thinking that I could
have an endoscopy done every 5 to 10 years to see if I'm still doing ok.  Any
thoughts on this?

        Thanks for listening..... Linda in Pensacola FL,  USA