From:
Mike Spreitzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Apr 2000 11:51:52 PDT

About a month ago I asked about restaurants in Westchester county, NY.
I got one response from this mailing list, and a few from a non-celiac
associate in the area.  I tried two, with good results.

Here is the one response from the list, from Ann Sokolowski

Check out Green Fields, a Brasilian BBQ -- have never had a problem
there.  I believe it is in Mamoronek.  Don't know exact location.  They
have several restaurants in and around NYC.

To my surprise, a non-celiac associate took the initiative to try and
find a few restaurants for me, based upon a comment that I've found Thai
and east Indian cuisines relatively good prospects.  I had described
Celiac only briefly to this person, and hadn't really prepared him with
as much emphasis and specificity as I would if I had expected him to do
this search.  Here is what he contributed:

"I called all of them to do a first pass filter for you.  These are the ones
which say that they can accomodate your restrictions on wheat, rye, oats,
and barley.  What about Japanese resteraunts?  There is a good one nearby
(Ichi Riki).

Here is the candiate list of resteraunts.

Crabtree's Kittle House 914-666-804
Dawat 914-428-4411
Ichi Riki (Japanese) 914-592-2220
Bengal Tiger 914-948-5191
Reka's Thai Resteraunt 914-949-1440

I've ordered them by my perception of their overall quality, with Crabtree
being the best of the bunch, though Bengal Tiger and Reka's are also good."

I phoned the first two on that list myself to give them a really good
grilling.  They both seemed like plausible possibilities, so I tried them.

The first of my two nights there, I tried Crabtree's Kittle House.  This
is an upscale place.  The "corporate" folks I was there with commented
that they only get there once or twice a year.  It was a very nice
experience.  It's a B&B, with a restaurant open to all comers in the
evening (at least).  They were very friendly and cooperative.  A very
nice Mr. Crabtree came to my table and assured me they would be able to
take care of me.  He said his daughter had Celiac when she was younger,
but has grown out of it now.  I didn't want to argue about whether
that's possible, I was just glad to see an owner at least somewhat
clueful.  And the meal was good, and I did not have a noticeable reaction.

The second night, I tried Dawat, an Indian place (the Asian kind), in
White Plains.  While Indian cuisine does include gluten-bearing foods,
they have plenty that don't.  This place was not as upscale as
Crabtree's, but it was good.  The waiter took my Celiac restaurant card
back to the chef, and they agreed that I could have just about any of
the many items that did not clearly contain gluten.  My group ordered
several dishes and shared them.  I had a reaction, but I suspect it was
to lactose, not gluten.  I developed lactose intolerance when I was
diagnosed with Celiac and went gluten-free.  Unfortunately, I didn't
have my Lactaid pills with me at this restaurant, and there was a dish
with lactose in it.  I don't fault the restaurant here --- they asked if
lactose was OK, and I said yes, guessing that the amount would be too
small to be a problem.

Mike
(moving to SE NYS over the next few months)