From:
Pat Mazza Vlamis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pat Mazza Vlamis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:41:13 -0500

Unfortunately most of the responses were people asking for a summary.
Most missed the wonderful bread at Easter.

I did receive this response which may be helpful to some of you:
"I baked an Irish Soda Bread on Saint Patrick's Day from a recipe posted by Whole Foods that was really absolutely delicious.  I was actually going to do it again on Easter and use an icing on top to make Hot Cross Buns (either one large one or individually).  Go to
I used more than a pinch of cardamom....and crushed it from pods...very aromatic....just fantastic!  Hope this helps!
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/gf_sodabread.html"

So I went back to my cookbooks and original family recipe. I combined Bette Hagman's "Single Rise Coffee Bread " with my mother's recipe. Here is what I came up with. Your family recipe might be different but it tastes close to my mom's and looks and smells like the real thing (or at least close to it)
Good enough for us.

Mary's Special Easter Bread
1 tablespoon dry yeast
3/4 cup warm water
1 tablespoon sugar
2 cups GF Mix or Four Flour mix
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup powdered milk or non dairy sub.
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons Xanthan Gum
1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup shortening (I used butter)
3 eggs, room temp.
2 tablespoons Vanilla (add more if you like more of a vanilla taste)

Proof yeast by dissolving yeast with warm water and 1 Tbsp sugar.
Let it rise up while you do the rest.
Sift together rest of dry ingredients in the bowl of the mixer.
Cut in butter or shortening.
Add eggs one at a time, then the vanilla and finally the yeast mix to the flour. Beat for 5 minutes at high speed.
Flour the work surface, grease hands and place dough on the surface.
Knead dough. you will have to add more GF flour (at least a cup, maybe more) as you knead to get the right consistency and take away the stickiness.
Make 2 small loaves or you can make 1 larger on. Place on a greased cookie sheet and let stand for 40 minutes or until it doubles in size.If you make 2 loaves leave space between as it will rise during baking as well.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cover with aluminum foil to prevent over browning and bake for 40 minutes.