From:
Joel Elias <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joel Elias <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2006 11:22:50 -0400

The Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act of 2004 has been in
effect for 8 1/2 months now and I continue to get questions from our support
group members as to whether labeled, commercial products are gluten-free.

The new law includes wheat as one of the eight primary allergens that must
be identified on labels but does not include barley and rye and no standard
for the term gluten-free has been agreed on as yet.

Here's my question: Has anyone come across a CURRENT, DOCUMENTED case of
gluten in a commercial product where it is not listed on the label?

The key words in the question are current and documented. Please avoid
replies including anecdotes or personal stories of reactions to products
unless you have actually verified unlabeled gluten content independently -
and recently.

I personally read and trust labels and advise our support group members to
always read labels and contact manufacturers if they have any doubts and
have found that most stories about "hidden gluten" don't hold up to close
scrutiny but am always open to revising my opinions if provided with facts
to the contrary.

I will summarize.

Joel Elias
www.rochesterceliacs.org