From:
Donna Hemingson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 08:31:27 -0500

Fellow Listmates:
I have been on this list since Jan and this condition seems to becomes more
complex as we go on here. I work as a massage therapist so I do have a
tendency to look at people and make assessments of health based on what I
see and feel externally and somewhat energetically. I  had been ,slowly
,over the last 20 years coming to the firm belief that so much of what we
are and how we feel and the disease states  and symptoms we manifest are
very connected to our nutrition and lifestyle. But now! I have to watch
that I do not personalize everyone into a digestive disorder, but really I
see so much of it and my experience has taught me to respect what I do
percieve because in the long run there seems to be some truth to it. (Do
others have this problem of seeing everything thru celiac eyes?) For
example-I go to a patient's house-he is on the massage table- incapacitated
since Aug with a lingering back problem from a incident . Nothing shows up
on all the tests. I see the formation of his lumbar spine and start to tell
him how this looks like mine etc etc-(I have to be careful that I don't
diagnose and so only SHARE stories) and lo and behold he tells me he was
diagnosed recently with celiac!!! and pigged out on carrot cake at Xmas. He
doesn't quite believe the celiac-back connection-I know it is a fact for
me- in fact that has been a major symptom for me- so if any of you have
direct connections that I can relay to him and any ideas on how we can help
this guy- he can't sit- has lost much of the curve in his lumbar -in fact
it has reversed somewhat- can't lie on his back -can hardly move - very
stiff on getting up etc- you all know how it feels, I am sure-I know
exactly how his body feels because he moves just like I did after a severe
Gluten intake. One more pondering- In the alternative/complementary health
field there seems to be a popular protocol of treatment used by
nutritionist, life style counselors, chiro's and all varieties of
"wholistic (holistic) practioners" and that is to eliminate certain foods
from the diet-- and the most popular ones to eliminate are refined carbos
and wheat- now I wonder if the numbers of diagnosed celiacs is really just
the tip of the iceberg and all of these people who make miraculous
recoveries from this and that from going on these elimination diets are
really undiagnosed celiacs. My concern here, as a kind of health
practitioner, (I was also a Pharmacist for 20 years) that there may be alot
of people who don't actually get the correct diagnosis (and we all know how
hard that is..if not seemingly impossible for some) and that by not having
the whole picture, may be, in the short run regaining health, but in the
long run still damaging themselves unknowingly. Perhaps this could be a
topic for the list. When I asked people if they think they may have a
problem with gluten the standard answer is that they were checked and it is
yes or no- but how they were checked is not the way celiac is checked
for--so I wonder and it concerns me. I read somewhere that Italy was
mandating celiac tests for all 7 year old starting this year - this makes
alot of sense- imagine how much money the health care system could save
each year!!!  Good Health to you all Donna in Pa .. PS there is no way I
could make summaries of this - is it possible to adddress our musings(if
any) on this to the list or would that be breaking the list rule- any
pertinant info I could relay to this man would be greatfully appreciated in
my personal email.