From:
Bill Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 1996 04:58:32 EDT

Recently, there was a post asking about a possible relationship between
Intussusception and Celiac.  I asked Dr. Karoly Horvath, one of the directors
of the Celiac clinic at University of Maryland, for his thoughts, which follow:

Bill Elkus
Los Angeles

Dr. Horvath writes:

 Intussusception is a common cause of intestinal obstruction
between 3 month and six years of age. Generally a segment of intestine
goes into the other segment, the circulation is compromised, which may
lead to necrosis.  It occurs frequently after infection involving the
distal small intestine and causing lymph node enlargement in this area. Up
to 75 % of causes can be solved by barium enema studies, which is
diagnostic and therapeutic. The remaining cases need surgery. Even after
surgery the prognosis is good, there are no complications associated with
the surgery. There are cases of recurrent intussusception, they may need a
sugery.
 In my knowledge there is no association between celiac disease and
intususception.