Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 2005 09:35:28 EDT

University of Chicago Celiac Screening

Hello Everyone!

The University of Chicago Celiac Disease Program is holding its 6th
annual free blood screening, thanks to the support of Prometheus
Laboratories and the Binding Site.

The screening will be held on October 22, 2005 at the University of
Chicago Hospitals. Pre-registration is required. We are only able to
screen those with established risk factors for celiac disease. The
decision to register a participant for the screening is solely the
responsibility of the University of Chicago Celiac Disease Program.

We are especially interested in screening individuals with Downs
syndrome, Type 1 diabetes, Hashimoto's thyroiditis, Graves disease, iron
deficiency anemia unresponsive to iron therapy, Sjogren's disease,
Turners syndrome and Williams syndrome, regardless of the family history
of celiac disease. Please note, we would also like to test the first
degree relatives of people with Type 1 diabetes (yes, that's right).
Those on a gluten-free diet are not eligible to participate.

If you are registered for the screening, you will be given a time slot
between 8:30 am and 12:30 pm to arrive at the hospital. You will be
tested on a first come first serve basis. We do not accept blood samples
from other locations.

Anyone, from anywhere in the country can participate, as long as you are
able to come to Chicago for the day of the screening. Last year we
tested over 400 people from 10 states.

If you are involved with support groups or organizations for the
conditions mentioned above, please spread the word about our screening
efforts. We hope to test 500 people this year, and we would like to make
sure that we reach populations at risk that are outside the celiac
community. (Family members at risk are always welcome.)

Currently we are 25% full.

Thanks so much for all your help. Please let me know if you have
questions.

Michelle

Michelle Melin-Rogovin
Executive Director
University of Chicago Celiac Disease Program
5839 S. Maryland Avenue, MC 4069
Chicago, IL. 60637
Celiac Disease Information Line: 773-702-7593