From:
Dave Gaviota <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Gaviota <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 11:57:28 -0700

I have received a number of interesting replies to my post yesterday.  One person said that the Flavoring had Gluten in it, so they had unflavored barium ordered (which was a good idea, never thought of).... but post below confirms EZ-EM's official response to me.  Unfortunately a day late though since I made general request via their website and finally go the reply.  Then another person said they still get reactions to the Barium anyway as the intestines have difficulty with it.

Another post was certainly an eye opener.  I had no idea what TPN was.... and one person said that they were GF for many years- but the last few years they were TPN.  So I looked it up and it means they can only eat through an IV Infusion of Total Parenetal Nutrition- this really bummed me out to hear this story.  It saddened me all evening and thinking about it today.  I have been trying to be so upbeat and glad to feel better finally.

I am shocked and felt really saddened and how horrible it must be for this person that this is what might happen.  Does anyone else have knowledge or experience about Celiac turning into this situation?  It really bothers to think about this.

On the brighter side:

As I mentioned in my post yesterday- I originally called both the Hospital and the Manufacturere EZ-EM and had a verbal confirmation from both and a separate email also on 10/4/02.... this was:

Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 14:07:40 -0400

---------------------------------

Please be advised that our products listed below, as stated are gluten free:

L150

L196

Teri Frigo

Customer Solutions

Ironically I got this reply today (a day late) this I asked the GF question about over a week ago on the general message email to the company- here is the reply regarding EZ-EM Barium Contrast L-196.

************ received 10/17/02

This is a gluten free product.  We do not put any gluten in our products but
we do purchase flavoring that are added.  We checked with our vendor and no
gluten is in the flavoring.

If you have any questions please feel free to e-mail or call me at
1-800-544-4624 ext 324.

Thank You.

Denise Sartori
Customer Service Supervisor

I have both email addresses to these company reps, however felt I probably should not post them out if anyone wants them- email me privately.

Thanks,

Dave