From:
Linda Scalice <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 17 Aug 2002 10:39:11 EDT

In the past year, I've been on  a cruise and to a spa, both booked months in
advance, with notice sent about the gluten free diet. I made sure to stress
the positives and gave clear lists of safe foods-fresh meats and veggies,
plain with no sauces. Both experiences were disappointing to say the least!
Neither the ship nor the spa got my meals correct, even after speaking with
the chefs. And all I asked for was plain grilled meats and vegetables!
 I was a bit nervous about a spur of the moment trip to Florida. After this
experience, I may (almost) forget about planning and go with serendipity!
My husband and I started our trip in Disney World and met up with members of
our extended family. The people at the food court in Port Orleans, Riverside
were knowledgeable about ingredients and cross-contamination. They led me to
tasty, safe selections. We went to the character breakfast in the Animal
Kingdom. The chef came out and walked me through the buffet, letting me know
what was safe. He also make me GF pancakes as he had a mix in the kitchen! I
was the only one who had mouse-eared pancakes that day :)
We then traveled to St. Augustine and stayed at a marvelous bed and
breakfast. The people at the Casablanca Inn prepare a full breakfast each
day. The first morning of our stay, they served French toast to everyone, so
they cooked eggs for me. On the second morning, because they knew about me,
they changed the menu for everyone and made a quiche. Mine was done crustless
and kept separate until I went to breakfast. Zak, the manager, shared the
recipe and I can't wait to try it at home. The Inn was comfortable,
overlooked the bay and I felt welcomed.
In town, we went to the Habana Cuban Village for dinner. The owner's deceased
mother had a wheat allergy, so she was very accommodating! She made sure to
discuss all the ingredients with me and even went into the kitchen to make
sure that the chef cooked my plantains in a separate pan, with fresh oil.
This trip was one of my best!
Feeling ready to go back to work now,
Linda Scalice, Long Island, NY

I have no financial interest in the companies mentioned; I'm just a satisfied
customer.