From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jun 2015 21:00:33 -0400

Copying my fellow list mates (and surely will get someone angry.)

I am sending this to Bob & Ruth of Bob and Ruth’s Dining & Travel Club. Bob asked for input in his most recent newsletter.  (I’ve been a member of their club since it began in the 1990’s.)

Perhaps the lawsuit is about PF Changs.  I’m not sure. I have seen complaints about PF Changs charging an extra dollar.  Pasta Pomodoro in Voorhees charges even more. Gluten-free pasta, pizza, breads, flour, etc. costs more than bulk, cheap commercial gluten stuff.

Training takes time, and time is money, in the industry.  We want the staff carefully trained!

I think a lawsuit would cause a terrible backlash by the industry, just like the frivolous one against Mc D’s did years ago.  I would NOT support a lawsuit.  No one is forcing us to eat in particular restaurants, and they are not under any obligation to provide gluten-free food.  A number of us “veterans” worked very hard to get the restaurants on board, years before the big organizations formed programs.  And the big organizations spend lots of money and time educating the industry and gaining goodwill.  There is still confusion in some places. It’s still a work in progress.  There is also negativity, because of those who are eating gluten-free as a fad diet….real or unreal.  The perception is out there.  It takes a special restaurant owner/manager/chef or an edict from corporate to really care.  A lawsuit would cause them to back off.  It’s slapping the hand that feeds us.

Lin Goldkrantz