From:
Kemp Randolph <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 1996 10:30:14 -0500

On Jan 16, 1996 13:21:20, [log in to unmask] wrote:

>Also, I inquired if Quaker yellow cornmeal is produced in a
>gluten-free environment. ....  this cornmeal is packaged by the
>same machines that package other products which may contain gluten.

THere are few, if any, gluten only production lines in this country. EnerG
Foods has one. In fact it may be a gluten free building.

Quaker has already been indicited here for not cleaning rice cake
production lines thoroughly enough. Search Quaker in the back files. I used
 their "old-fashioned corn grits" until I heard this.

Arrowhead Mills knows and cares about gluten sensitivity. WHen I called
some time ago and started asking about cross contamination, the consumer
affairs person transferred me to the lab, who immediately passed me on to
the president!

Arrowhead separates out GF and non GF runs on the line. The line is
vacuumed inbetween.

Arrowhead has a coarse corn meal, both yellow and white. Yellow makes a
tasty bowl of grits. I use this for wintertime hot cereal. FWIW, I just
tested "GF" on the four antibody tests, so any remaining contamination must
be unimportant.

Goya has a coarse yellow corn meal, grit about the same size as
Arrowhead's. Less expensive. Anyone question them?

                          Kemp Randolph
                          Long Island