Date:
Mon, 13 May 2013 20:34:52 -0500

Thanks to all those who contacted me and shared information.

For every person who said they had no problems with their White Blood
Count there were *five *people who said they have or at sometime had
chronic low White blood count.  So low WBC, among Celiacs, is more
common than I would have predicted.

Of those with a history of low WBC there was little agreement among
their doctors  on its significance.  Some doctors monitor closely by
checking blood levels quarterly, while other doctors thought it to be of
no importance, particularly when there were no other active health issues.

  Some doctors believe low WBC to be a sign of an undiagnosed autoimmue
disease -- most likely Lupus.  But to have Lupus you need more symptoms
than just low WBC.

(Note there are other causes of low WBC, but I'm assuming for this
discussion that they have all been ruled out.  Examples are cancer
therapy, HIV-AIDS and TB).

For various reasons my doctor now thinks a low WBC is important and
should be taken very seriously and investigated and treated.  After
ruling out bone marrow problems he thinks the most probable cause is an
overwhelming infection that uses up white blood cells faster than they
can be produced.  This type of infection could be as simple as H.Pylori,
chronic ear infections, Staph or strep infections, or even bacterial
overgrowth in the intestines.   He thinks the cure might be as simple as
taking the right antibiotic.

Some people who contacted me thought there was no need to worry about
low WBC because infection would send your WBC up.  However this is
usually true with bacterial infections but is not the case with viral
infections; the reverse is more often true -- that the WBC will get
dangeously low.  When components of the WBC get to 0.00 hospitals put
you in isolation.

I'll pass on any new information I receive.

www.MayoClinic.com has interesting information on the potential causes
of low WBC.

Janette

*******