From:
"Robert F. Eyerman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 15:56:39 -0500

Dear Listmembers, I don't know how you feel about this topic, but I am
tired of being degraded, and having you all degraded, lately by the people
on this list who think that the only topic should be their topic, unifying
celiac organizations.  There was a mention last week of "the recipes and
drivel on the list"  and today the quotes, "The problem with the celiac
list is that it is composed of different types of people.  Some people want
to change the way the FDA and food manufacturers do business, others want
to chat and share recipes while those new to the list often can't think
straight.  If anyone is to make a change, it must be the most capable of
people........"  "Only a few people are willing to face the difficulties
and complexities of changing the status quo."  "I don't know how many
people are willing and able to move beyond discussions of recipes and
unsafe ingredients....."
  I take extreme offense at this.  I think that you are degrading a large
majority of the list.  How dare you think that we are not all concerned
over food labeling, etc.?  Why is it a problem that the list is composed of
different types of people?  I suggest that you start your own list where
you make the rules and everyone has to have the same opinions.  Who are
these most capable of people?  Not the recipe sharers and the people who
want to know about safe ingredients?  Where do you propose that we do this?
 Oh, not on your list, how sorry I am.  We do have to eat, obviously.  I
think that if you look at the posts on an average day, you won't see the
majority of them complaining about the lack of unification of celiac
groups, the FDA, etc.  I have yet seen anyone post anything concrete about
solving this problem, all as I have seen have been posts whining about it.

Perhaps if someone can come up with a concrete plan or tell us whom to
write to, etc., we would all be willing to do our share.  The most  capable
of people?  Who are they?  I have posted recipes, etc..  I have a B.A. cum
laude from Syracuse University and was formerly a medical office manager.

I think I'm a pretty capable person along with everyone else on the list,
so please don't insult us because we want to find out what are safe foods
and are looking for some good recipes. Karen, NY