From:
David J Walland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jun 1998 12:19:58 +0100

Dear All,

I had 3 replies from people aware of a sudden and
characteristic depression in themselves or their near
relatives on gluten challenge. Two were from the States and
one from the UK.

This is (I hope) another nail in the coffin of the "it's
all in the mind" brigade.  It confirms once again to me
that we cannot separate "mind" from "body".  Each affects
the other through very many links both biochemical and
psychological.

It is also interesting that as my wife has come to the last
week of her Fine Art degree course, she has begun to show
symptoms of coeliac (but _without_ these "gluten blues"),
just as she did when she had a small operation on her hand
about a year ago.  Apparently some stress triggers coeliac,
even in the absence of gluten (her consultant had warned
her before the operation but said he thought it
"unlikely").  We are pretty sure that she has been GF
without error now for a fairly long time.  I have done
virtually all the cooking (from fresh products, no
ready-mades at all) and by now I really am pretty expert in
doing this automatically.

Perhaps Coeliacs should ask themselves whether they are
being too highly stressed, as well as whether they can
think of any possible source of gluten, if they get a
coeliac reaction.

What do the medical experts who read/contribute to this
list think?

Regards

David

David J Walland
University of Bristol Radiation Protection Adviser
Tel +44 (0)117 928 8323
Fax +44 (0)117 929 1209