From:
David J Walland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 May 1997 13:48:46 +0100

Dear All,

I'm a new lister.  My wife was diagnosed Coeliac about 4
years ago (so we're still learning).  I've been hearing
things recently about guar and xanthan gums and notice many
of your recipes use them.  Does any UK lister know where I
might obtain these in quantities less than 50 kg?  This is
the smallest amount I've so far been offered.

Recently we had problems with buckwheat (toasted buckwheat
grains)  bought from our local health food shop.  These
were contaminated with a VERY low level of wheat grains (I
counted visually 3 grains in about a kilogram of buckwheat
grains. This explained about 6 months of occasional
unexplained relapses.  The grains were grown in Poland and
probably contaminated at source!

I'd love to post some of our exciting recipes (isn't most
coeliac food BORING!) but will need to know what the
majority of listers in the US can and can't get.  I tend to
use prepacked flour mixes and find that they are not always
interchangeable.

Finally - can anyone help me with some recipes for bread
which work well without using a bread maker (this man's got
his pride you know).

Thanks

David

David J Walland
University of Bristol Radiation Safety Officer