From:
Valerie Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 21:34:30 -0700

My dear fellow GAGs (gluten avoiding gluttons), I hope my enthusiasm
about the EnteroLab gene test doesn't lead any of you into foregoing
further diagnostic testing.  I want to emphasize that while it is
important to know that you have the genotype that can predispose you to
celiac, that in itself is not a diagnosis. There are any number of
things that can cause the symptoms we have.  For example, I've found out
that I have two genes that can cause me to become gluten sensitive &
begin making antigliadin antibodies.  But,at this point, I don't really
know what's making me ill because I don't know if I have been the
antibodies or not.  For this reason I do plan on getting tested for anti-
gliadin antibodies.  Also important is for me to know whether I'm
absorbing nutrients or not. That's why I plan on getting EnteroLab [
http://www.enterolab.com ] to test my stool for anti-gliadin antibodies
and malabsorption.  The gene test was a good first step because it gave
me a direction in which to look for solutions to my health problems, but
it does not present the total picture and may not provide me with the
all information I need to get well. These antigliadin & malabasorption
stool tests will help complete the picture by letting me know if I am,
in fact, gluten sensitive.  These tests will also be useful in the
future to assess the effectiveness of my diet.  If I'm absorbing my
nutrients better & no longer making antibodies after a year, then I will
know I'm sufficiently GF & healing.

        I've been told by Dr. Fine that because EnteroLab tests for
antigliadin antibodies where they are produced (inside the intestine),
this test may be positive years before antigliadin antibody blood tests
are positive and before the intestine has become damaged (EnteroLab's
goal is preventive medicine). That way, an abnormal  biopsy should no
longer be required for a person to be diagnosed as clinically gluten
sensitive.  Referring to the traditional CD diagnostic practices, Dr.
Fine said that's like waiting for a heart attack before lowering blood
pressure or before lowering cholesterol.

        IMHO, if you already know that you are making antigliadin antibodies
because of a blood test & you have a positive biopsy, you shouldn't need
further diagnostic testing.  However, since these two tests are so
sensitive, they could be very valuable tools in assessing your progress &
success with the GF diet & the integrity of your gut.  [I should repeat
here that I have no financial connection with EnteroLab other than being
a happy recipient of their services.] ~Valerie in Tacoma, WA