From:
Denise Jania <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Denise Jania <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Sep 2007 07:55:50 -0700

HI,

  Sorry this has taken so long, but I got a lot of responses and waited until they stopped coming before doing the summary.  I got so many that I wasn't able to reply to everyone individually, so I'd like to thank everyone for their replies now.  As always, we learn a lot from these e-mails.  The most important thing I learned from this was to toast dry GF bread pieces in the oven and then put them in a blender, food processor, old-fashioned food grinder with a crank, or coffee grinder to make crumbs.  I had attempted making my own crumbs a few times with GF bread that I toasted and tried crushing into crumbs with a rolling pin.  Duh, I never thought of using a blender!  If the bread had a rubbery texture, it was like trying to get crumbs out of car tires!

  Here are the recommendations:

  Use corn flake crumbs, crushed potato chips or corn chips,  GF instant potato flakes, corn meal, Paskesz passover crumbs, Ener-g bread crumbs, Gillian's bread crumbs, Gillian's Italian-style bread crumbs, Mrs. Ritt's has bread crumbs on their website, Southern Homestyle corn flake crumbs from Whole Foods, Hol-Grain brown rice crumbs, Hol-Grain bread crumbs, Sunnyvalleywheatfree.com sells finely ground GF bread crumbs, chefdeveere.com sells GF bread crumbs, use Manioc flour for fillets of fish or thickening stews

  Make bread crumbs from:

  Whole Foods GF sandwich bread
  Whole Foods sundried tomato garlic bread
  heels of the loaves from Bread From Anna
  favorite GF crackers
  favorite Gf bread
  GF corn bread
  GF crisp bread
  combination of Mary's Gone Crackers and rice crackers
  Ener-g light tapioca bread
  Ener-g tapioca bread
  GF corn flakes
  GF crispy rice cereal
  parboiled brown rice
  Kinnickinnick white sandwich bread
  Bette Hagman's tender buttermilk bread recipe from her book More From The Gluten-Free
  Gourmet
  Bette Hagman's recipe for Shake & Bake-type seasoned bread crumbs

  Most original ideas - make crumbs from:
  favorite pizza crust
  almond meal
  GF waffles

  Also, several people recommended adding spices like oregano, garlic powder, Old Bay seasoning, olive oil to bread crumbs for more flavor

  As for me, I'm going to have fun trying all of the above!!  Thanks for all the great feedback.  Hope you all enjoy your GF bread crumbs!