From:
Bob and Sue Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 May 1997 10:38:48 -0400

After hearing the speakers at the kick-off conference for the U.S. study
of the incidence of celiac disease, I am convinced that there is a high
probability that almost all in my family have some form/degree of celiac
disease.  They aren't the least bit interested in finding out---which
seems to be somewhat common from what some personal discussions with
others at the meeting led me to believe.

I need to know how I would have them tested if I could convince them to
be tested.  With managed care it seems to me that the doctors say to try
a gluten free diet rather than to use the blood tests.  The celiacs in
the family have not had biopsies so relatives won't be eligible to be in
the incidence study.

Are the blood tests a common thing that one could go to a doctor or a
lab and ask to have the test and say you would pay for it out of pocket?
  Can one get a kit to send to University of Maryland's lab?  Does one
do one test first, and then the others or are all done at once on one
sample of blood?  What is the cost?

This is going to take all the points I have built up over a lifetime to
get people to submit, so I want to know exactly how to do it and how it
can be easiest for them.

Thanks.

Sue