From:
Kathleen Curet <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kathleen Curet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2003 06:21:43 -0700

Hello Listmates!

I've noticed several posts over the last few days that seem to lack the understanding that not all gluten is out for Celiacs.....let me clarify.

The gluten in wheat, rye, barley, and oats (due to cross contamination from production) contains GLIADIN which is the protein Celiacs cannot tolerate AT ALL in any quantity.  Corn gluten, soy gluten (hydrolized or otherwise) is not offensive to a Celiac (unless they have other allergies/intolerances too).  So, when the word gluten is used, unless I'm totally in the dark, it has a broader meaning than gliadin.

I know this is no-brainer info for some, but maybe its confusing to newbies, so I hope this clarifies whether or not products containing "gluten" are gf ...they must be from wheat, rye, barley or oats to contain GLIADIN....that pesky and elusive protein!

Have a grrreat day!
Peace to all,
Kate, in Salmon, Idaho!